Young persons intending to enter into Holy Matrimony should attend marriage preparation course. Each course is for three consecutive sundays and attendance is compulsory. Courses are conducted in Tamil ( at St.Thomas Pastoral Centre, Near the Basilica) and English . Persons are free to choose the medium of instruction. Days and venue of the courses are announced from time to time.There is a token fees for the course. A certificate will be issued at the end of the course.
Marriage Preparation course
Marriage Preparation courses are conducted by Family Commission of the Archdiocese. Rev.Sr. Jayamary Fernandez SJC is in charge of the Family Commission, headquarted at St.Thomas Pastoral Centre, 25, Rosary Church Road, Santhome , Chennai 600 004. Tel: 91-044-2493 4853. While Tamil courses are scheduled everymonth, english medium is available once in three months.
A token fees of Rs.100/= per person is charged . Please confirm the dates and register by calling the above number on working days during office hours.
Approach your parish priest (or the priest in-charge ) with your baptism certificate, family card and marriage preparation course certificate. Fill up and sign the form available with the parish office.
Banns will be read on three consecutive sundays. The parish priest will issue necessary letter if there is no impediments reported.
Many facilities are available for conducting a marriage at the basilica. Apart from these, the priests are available to help the families to fullfill the reqirements as per the canons.
There are marriage halls at the premises.
1. Community centre – opposite to the church premises
2. Mathias Hall – First floor of the Thiru Mylai Annai bulding above the church office
3. Arulappa Hall -First floor of the Thiru Mylai Annai bulding above the church office
4. Mini Hall – First floor of the Tomb entrance building
5. Conference Hall – First floor Above the mueseum . Air conditioned.
Booking of these halls to be done in advance. The fees etc… will be available from the office.
Preparing a list of guests and relatives to be invited is very important.
This will come handy so that you may not miss any important guests by oversight or omission.
Wedding invitation design and printing is very important.
Scan the wedding invitation and get a soft copy for sending the same by internet. The same digital image will be useful while making wedding website and making/printing digital wedding album.
Other facilities provided by individuals functioning independently are available in Chennai
1. Catering Service
2. Flower decoration – Inside the church – inside the hall – Car- bridal boquet
4. Chairs and seating arrangemets
5. Vehicles- Transport
6. Photography and Videography
7. Streaming videos on the net
8. Wedding websites and photo album upload
10. Wedding costume ( Indian or western) design and tailoring/shopping
11. Bridal makeup and beauticians service
12. Votive candles, Offertory etc…
There are lots of shops for wedding dress and jewellery / ornaments in Chennai.
It is better to write all important assignments/engagements/contracts in connection with the wedding celebration in a book in seprate folios.
For example: write the full address and contact number of the service provider, detils of the service, contract amount, advance paid if any, date and time of the service and final settlement ( discounts if any).